When did we look away and then got our necks snapped you ask? Well, let’s recap a few inciting incidents:
- November 4, 2008 – 54% of Catholics vote Barack Obama into office as the 44th President of the United States; thinking that he is a moderate, a swell guy, and their friend. He then moves swiftly and boldly to enact the most aggressive pro-abortion policy, legislation, and appointments in the history of the country.
- May 17, 2009 – Barack Obama speaks at Notre Dame University, where he received an Honorary Doctorate Degree, and promises to provide conscience exemptions for those who faith forbade them to participate in the evils of sterilization, contraception, and various abortifacient drugs. Well, I’ll let your hear it from Barack Obama himself.
- November 8, 2011 – New York Cardinal-designate Timothy Dolan, President of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB), and other Catholic bishops meet with President Barack Obama in order to discuss “pertinent moral concerns arising in foreign and domestic policy, issues of both agreement and disagreement.” The top agenda item at this meeting was a possible HHS Mandate for all employers to provide their employees with insurance that would include coverage for sterilization, contraception, and various abortifacient drugs. According to Dolan, the meeting “was very candid. I would say there were areas of agreement and disagreement.” He said that he “found the president of the United States to be very open to the sensitivities of the Catholic community that were worried about an intrusion into religious liberty.” He even remarked that Obama was “sensitive” to the bishop’s concerns over gay marriage and insurance mandates.
- January 20, 2012 – President Obama calls Timothy Dolan in the morning to tell him that he was forging ahead with the HHS Mandate. In turn, over the next twenty days firestorms erupt and lawsuits are initiated over the government’s attack on religious freedom and individual conscience rights.
- February 10, 2012 – President Obama steps out of the White House and issues a new version of the HHS Mandate, which is worse than the first one. This mandate forces employers to contract with a Healthcare Insurance company, who will not charge the employer for those services that it morally and religiously objects to, but still forces the employer to refer the employee to the insurance company for those services. For their part, the insurance company is compelled to call each employeee of that company individually to ask them if they want those services to be included in their package. The one year grace period that was in the original mandate has been abolished. All employers now have until August 1, 2012 to comply or face monetary penalties.
- BONUS – February 10, 2012 – As she was there at the beginning of it all when Obama signed Obamacare into law, there was Sister Carol Keehan (head of the Catholic Health Organization) jumps forward again to back this evil and speaks out of line and out of step with the Catholic Bishops, by stating that the revised Mandate, “has responded to the issues we identified that needed to be fixed,” and that it “protects the religious liberty and conscience rights of Catholic institutions.”
Commenting on Obama’s version of the Kansas City Shuffle, my friend Christian Peschken Tweeted that the new revised Mandate is like saying, “I don’t sell drugs, I use a drug dealer to do that for me.” In more extreme language, it’s like saying I didn’t kill my wife, I hired someone to do it. The point being is that this revised Mandate STILL puts employers in bed with something that they cannot comply with on the basis of faith, morals, and principle. It’s still unconstitutional, it’s still unAmerican, and it’s still demonic!
So as we continue to pray and fast as a community of faith that wisdom and justice may prevail, and religious liberty may be restored, let us also continue to move into action and mobilize against this persecution of people of God. Also please visit the website for the National Committee for a Human Life Amendment to send an email to your State Representative and Senator about this issue. I also encourage you to sign this National Petition to stop the HHS Mandate.
– – – – – – –
Saint Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host –
by the Divine Power of God –
cast into hell, satan and all the evil spirits,
who roam throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.
– – – – – – –